Running a heavy rigid vehicle is never easy. Obtaining its license is even more difficult. You have to get trained first and work sincerely hard for this. There are several tests that you have to pass in order to finally get the heavy rigid license. Heavy rigid vehicles are difficult to maintain as well. So even if you become an expert driver at some point, you still have to drive your truck carefully.
Things To Know About Heavy Rigid License:
There are certain things in the process of learning how to drive a heavy rigid vehicle to obtain the license which is important. Let’s check them out:-
Full Theoretical Knowledge:
First things first, you have to gain every bit of the information in order to run a heavy rigid vehicle. It’s important to know every little bit about heavy rigid vehicles. If it’s a small car, you would be able to know about it without requiring Theoretical knowledge. You would be required to know only the practical aspect of things. But with a truck, there are certain nuances that need to be understood. If ignored, it can lead to a huge problem in the long run.
Requirement For The Course:
You cannot enter the course of learning heavy rigid driving straight up. There are certain requirements that need to be fulfilled. It’s important to hold a Victorian car license. You need to hold it for a period of at least 24 hours. It would be proof of the fact that you know how to drive. You just have to get better at your job. When you go for the course, you will be able to eventually know everything about heavy rigid vehicles. But if you haven’t gotten a Victorian car license yet, you will have to first get the license and wait for a longer period to be able to enter the course.
There are people with special conditions who want to get a heavy rigid license. But the safety measures have been brought in since the training is quite stiff and if someone is not medically cleared, it will be difficult for that person to get the training. So for a person with a medical condition, it is important to have a medical clearance first. With the help of medical clearance, the person will be able to get access to training. Those people who belong to overseas countries can also apply for a heavy rigid license. But in order to do so, they first have to get written approval from VicRoads. The license category should be made eligible for that particular person in order to get access to training. In fact, clearance from VicRoads will be required for every person who wants to get the training.
Heavy Combination License:
Heavy combination vehicles are pretty much the same as high rigid vehicles, except for the fact that they are even more difficult to drive. A heavy combination vehicle can carry a weight of more than 9,000 KG easily. In order to get a heavy combination license, you have to follow some steps nicely. Let’s look at them one by one:-
- The first step would be to learn how to drive. You need to know how to drive an HC class vehicle, to be precise. Running a small vehicle wouldn’t make you eligible to run a heavy combination vehicle. So make sure you know every bit of the HC class vehicle driving.
- In order to apply for a heavy combination license, you will have to first fill up the application. There’s not much that you would find hard to write here. But keep the information accurate so that there’s no problem in the near future.
- You have to provide identity proof as well. It should be ensured that you are a citizen of Australia in order to get the license. But if you belong to some other country, you still can apply for the license. You just have to get approval from VicRoads.
- Now that you have completed the application form and given out your identity proof as well, all you need to do is submit the application. Try to submit the application in person so that if there’s some error on your part, it will be easier to fix it.
- You have to pass the eyesight test along with medical eligibility that you are completely healthy to drive. It would be important in the case of any vehicle. For running a heavy combination vehicle, you will have to be double sure about it.
- The last and most important step would be to pass the practical assessment test. This test would be a make-or-break situation for you. If you pass it, you are officially good to go. If you fail to pass it, you will have to start all over again. So make sure you put everything out in order to be successful in this last step of applying for a heavy combination license.
Difference Between Heavy Rigid & Heavy Combination License:
Both these kinds of licenses might mean one and the same thing for many people when it clearly isn’t. If you have an HR class license, you are allowed to drive a vehicle with 3 or more axles and a GVM that is greater than 8 tonnes. If you have an HC license, you will be allowed to drive a GVM that is greater than 9 tonnes. It clearly means that the HC license is meant for heavier trucks. A driver having HR can even drive a bus as well but he would still face restrictions regarding driving anything above 9 tonnes. It is better than looking to have both kinds of licenses so that you have more opportunities to drive.
You will have to carefully understand everything regarding the heavy trucks and buses before driving them. When you want to do commercial activities by driving, you need to have a license at all costs. If you are interested in having a heavy rigid or heavy combination license, you are ought to put yourself into the training process!
Leave a Reply